20% pre-order discount till 8 May 2021. All pre-orders will be mailed out on 8 May.
“Women who follow Jesus are passionate and dynamic, forging ahead and unafraid of putting their faith into practice. In their every walk of life, they are God’s agents of change.”
We live in a scary world, torn apart by them-and-us thinking and threatened by disease, violence and environmental destruction. How does God shape women to be pro-active in society as Christian disciples, equipping them to build community and change the world around them?
Jesus calls men and women alike to be ambassadors of God’s kingdom in society. What kind of spiritual journey can strengthen them to rise to this challenge, engage in the public arena and thrive as the strong, significant players in mission that God calls them to be? This is the question that lies at the heart of this book.
Reflecting on the parable of the yeast and weaving together the stories of women from the Bible with those of Christian history, the author reflects on the experiences of women such as Alice Domon and St. Perpetua, Sojourner Truth and Amy Carmichael. She offers inspiration and encouragement to all women of today who seek to become passionate followers of Christ, faithful to the values of God’s kingdom in every aspect of their daily lives.
Preview the book here.
The Kingdom Announced
I. Crossing Divides: The Open Kingdom
- The inclusivity of Jesus’ ministry;
- Karla Faye Tucker (1959–1998): American prisoner on death row;
- St. Perpetua and St. Felicitas (third century): African martyrs
II. Seeking Signs: The Mysterious Kingdom
- The women of the genealogy (Matt. 1:1–17): Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary.
III. Serving Others: The Humble Kingdom
- Peter’s mother-in-law (Matt. 8:14–15);
- Sabina Bell: (1919–2015): English social worker
IV. Reaching Out: The Welcoming Kingdom
- The woman with the flow of blood (Matt. 9:20–22);
- Dorcas Price (b.1917): Welsh night-shelter volunteer
V. Staying True: The Enduring Kingdom
- The Canaanite woman (Matt. 15:21–28);
- Sojourner Truth (1797?–1883): African-American freed slave, preacher and abolitionist
VI. Loving Action: The Powerful Kingdom
- The woman with the perfume (Matt. 26:6–13);
- Amy Carmichael (1867–1951): Irish missionary in India
VII. Giving All: The Transformative Kingdom
- The mother of James and John (Matt. 20:20–28; 27:55–56);
- Alice Domon (1937–1977): French religious in Argentina, active with the mothers of the disappeared
VIII. Living Hopefully: The Promised Kingdom
- The two Mary’s at the empty tomb (Matt. 27:59–61; 28:1–10);
- Betsie (1885–1944) and Corrie ten Boom (1892–1983): Dutch rescuers, prisoners in Ravensbrück Nazi concentration camp
The Yeast in Our Lives: Ambassadors of the Kingdom Today